Friday, May 06, 2011

It's the Magic: Top Ten Picks from New Phyrexia (not really including the ones last week).


New Hotness

I like charge counters. I probably shouldn’t, but I really do. This set seems to play with them quite a bit and I like that. It’s one of the reasons I like proliferate so much. Granted, I like working The Battlefield, and to a lesser extent, The Stack. Hands, graveyards, libraries, and command zones? Not so much.

Nice idea. Not evocative, but a cool new thing. Evroken.

Can a creature block itself? (No. Changing control removes dudes from combat. I’d like to exploit this in some clever way, but very little is more clever than just stealing a dude and blocking with him.) I still love you Act of Aggression.

It's pretty clever. 3/1 for 1GG is steep, but they’re Elves, so I'm cool with it.

I don't get it mechanically (Good news! Get life!), but I do like it in terms of flavor. It's a needed card. It also touches on some of my theories about life representing one’s influence on the plane or the progress of one’s plans. IE, once your life gets to 0, your entire project on the plane—whatever it was—is written off at a loss. Just like 10 Poison counters means that the parts of the plane you were working with are too corrupted for you to keep working on it. This means that a mighty planeswalker can’t be mauled to death by an unopposed Grizzly Bears in ten turns, but that without any resistance, a well-directed Grizzly Bear can wreck a planeswalker’s designs.

Here, have ten more life. Handy in any game where you need to cheat for more time, unless that game involves proliferation.

Like it. Reliable 3/3's every other turn for 4 with a non-renewable cost. Especially with the Splicer cycle of dudes who give Golems bonuses and make more golems, it’s pretty sweet.


Putting this one under ‘love to hate.’ I don’t really like ‘strictly better’ cards because they make other cards useless. Even a functional reprint like Soul's Attendant or Evolving Wilds serves some purpose. Making a better Unsummon is Phyrexian, but I’m not sure what the purpose is. I’d rather 1C, where that C is Phyrexian mana or even just making it a Sorcery or slapping a strange restriction on it (like, only creatures that entered the battlefield this turn or something) would work for me, but this doesn’t. I’ll run it, but I won’t like it.

Bloodchief's Ascension. Need I say more?

 
Delightful. Goes right alongside my Jace's Erasure. I'm liking answers to Primeval Titan far more than the titan himself.

This Week's Best Thing Ever
There hasn't been a "This Week's Best Thing Ever" in a while. Mostly, it's because I've been playing with two Mirrodin Besieged pre-cons, three of my MBS draft decks, and one of my Scars of Mirrodin constructed decks while I've been on the barge. Only my MBS "Texas Draft" and "Multitudes Draft" decks are any fun at all. The rest have tight play, but are boring. Lately, I've been running D&D and Aberrant RPGs while I'm off-shift, so Magic hasn't been a big deal.

Huh, That's Funny
It looks there’s a lot of interesting things going on with Magic, but I’ll be downgrading my order of New Phyrexia from “The Full Package” to maybe a fat pack and a draft pack of six boosters from New Phyrexia, Mirrodin Besieged, and Scars of Mirrodin each. I’ll pass on the Commander release and Magic 2012 as well. That leaves Ajani vs Bolas and Innistrad on the radar (depending on how Innistrad plays out). We’ll see whenever September comes.

"Griefing"? Seriously? Okay, one precon and I'll go halfsies on a fat pack.

The next two weeks of “It’s the Magic” will probably be Green Boxes. I know it’s a little late, but maybe the guys who don’t play a lot of Magic might want to know just what the hell I’m talking about every Friday.

No comments: