Friday, July 07, 2023

Battletech Equipment Survey 503

I fell off keeping these up to date the last few months. I don't know if I've been in a funk, but I haven't been in a "fully operating."

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdUjn3fWy8c47oL0MyAHPl1DiV4Gs3azMV3ySspkV0lbObaIA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Round 1
LB/X ACs
Anti-Missile System
I think the LB/X 10 takes it. Maybe if the AMS could engage multiple systems per turn. The LB/X 20 is a logistical nightmare, but I gotta give it to the whole class of slug/cluster weapons.

Round 2
Arrow IV Artillery
HAG [Clan]
I've never been a fan of HAGs. They're heavy, relatively hot-running, short on ammo, and they have cluster maluses at long range, which is the point of having a weapon with that kind of range. I don't love them.

Say what you will about Arrow IV scattering, but fuck it: That shit is funny.

Round 3
Artemis V [Clan]
Double Heat Sink
It's Double Heat Sinks. Confidentially, I think I made a typo in round two that kept DHS from being on top of the bracket now. C'est la vie.
Round 4
SLDF Advanced Neurohelmet
RISC Emergency Coolant System

Not exactly what both do, but the neurohelmet seems like an all-upside system with some fluff drawbacks. That said, my books are packed because I'm moving again, so I'm not sure. Gotta go with "Neither."

Round 5
XXL Fusion Engines
Endo-Composite Structure

XXL engines don't add much to the game. They're stupid fun, which is worth a lot, but not that much. Endo-Composite Structure is a great corner-cutting tech. Love it.

Round 6
Command Console
Artemis IV

I prefer Command Consoles to a piece of equipment which says you can put it on SRMs hwen you should never put it on SRMs.

Round 7
Supercharger
Risc Laser Pulse module

I do like the Laser Pulse Module, but the Supercharger is good. Maybe too good since most I would rather take it over MASC 99% of the time, but until it gets nerfed I like it.

Round 8
Ballistic Reinforced Armor
Coolant Pod

Having just applied BRA to a quad superheavy tonight, I hate it so much. Maybe it plays better than it looks on paper. Coolant Pod.

Round 9
Remote Drone Command Console & Remote Drone
RISC Repeating TSEMP Cannon

I like the idea of Drones a little. Not a lot. It's better than a TSEMP, which shocks your own balls just a bit softer than the target's. Just a weird, stupid weapon.

Round 10
Bloodhound Probe
Nova CEWS

Nova CEWS. The scenarios and special rules which make probes useful aren't compelling. Also, "Clantech C3."

'nuff said.

Round 11
Impact-Resistant Armor
Underwater Maneuvering Unit

I like UMUs, personally. Everything gets wonky underwater, but I'm still interested in aquatic units. Like every specialty armor IRA is cool and falling and physical attacks are common enough that it's worth taking. The 2 points per ton penalty isn't all that bad.

Too close to call.

Round 12
Mechanical Jump Boosters
Enhanced LRMs

Noticeably heavier LRMs with a slightly smaller minimum range versus stupid ridiculous jump jets that call several physical laws into doubt? It's sensibility versus sensation and today, sensibility loses. MJB.

Round 13
Protomech ACs [Clan]
Laser Heat Sink [Clan]

Laser Heat Sinks aren't that great. Tiny ACs score a tiny victory.

Round 14
Vehicular Mine Dispenser
Bombast Laser

Bombast Laser. The mine dispenser is useful. I couldn't imagine an army without that kind of equipment. But I haven't been impressed with minefields. Maybe I should do more combined arms.

Round 15
Talons
Machine Gun Arrays

Talons still don't make sense for the Clans to develop. Putting some extra mustard on a kick attack would have swung a lot of games, not just for me but for the game in general. But MGAs make the joke MG damage versus armor into something serious, reduce admin from multiple location rolls, and don't make the setting stupid. MGAs.

Survey 502

Survey 501

No comments: