Thursday, June 23, 2022

Sandman is Coming

Look, I like a pale, wiry guy as much as the next gay. Probably more, now that I think about it. However, I never got into Sandman. I tried the book, but it seemed kind of...pretentious? Loose? Maybe there's an impressionist (dare I say 'dreamlike'?) quality to it that isn't to my taste. 

I don't like hard sci-fi as a rule, but I definitely prefer sci-fi over fantasy and I prefer my settings to have rules. What little I saw of Sandman seemed very much a style over setting affair. And also I remember some sexual assault which isn't a deal breaker for me on its own, but it was enough to put down a book I just wasn't into.

Yeah, it's a classic and Neal Gaiman is very talented and I probably just don't get it.

I like Preacher. That is my answer to that statement.

No comments: