The story is that I wanted to watch a movie in August, but when it came down to it, it was either spend 3 hours watching The Odyssey or watching Spider-Man, and neither one of those propositions appealed to me.
I usually do just ten of these, plus some honorable mentions for TV series. This month is gonna be different because...there are some patterns. I'll group movies with similar elements with a title.
Our House. In the Middle of Our--OH GOD WHAT IS THAT!?
The Last House (August 7th)
The End of Oak Street (August 14th)
I listed The Last House first because it just looks better and it reminds me less of the 1997 The Outer Limits episode, "Feasibility Study."
It also looks a little more horror than action, with a mystery that slowly unravels. As opposed to The End of Oak Street, which concedes we're on an alien planet with murder dinosaurs and I guess you're just fucked.
One Night Only (August 7th)
I've seen people bagging on this because the premise is inherently puritanical, but I don't think the message of that film is that it's good. I think that like any good science fiction, we're supposed to learn more from the humans in the scenario instead of questioning the premise.
I'm not a rom-com guy, but it won me over. I don't know the appeal of Callum Turner. I guess that's what they call "suspension of disbelief."
Colony (August 28th)
Actually, I'm intrigued. It's zombies, but a fun twist on it.
The Succession Wars, but the Throne Is That of Pineapple Express
Idiots (August 28th)
THAT is a fucking trailer!
The Wrong Girls (August 14th)
Girl stoner action comedy? Kristen Stewart and Kate McKinnon are draws. And it has more claim to the Pineapple Express throne, despite lacking a Franco. But...not really my thing.
Tony (August 7th)
Ever since A24 got in bed with AI, I'm less compelled put them on these lists, but I do want to rag on what appears to be a completely pedestrian coming of age story about a Very Special Boy who turns out to be Anthony Bourdain.
Just read Kitchen Confidential.
Super Troopers 3 (August 7th)
I wish these were as good as the first one. We all do. Sometimes, you've only got one song in ya though. I'd at least respect them a bit if they were riffing with an understanding of Indian culture, but it looks like it's gonna be sarees and basket snakes all the way down.
Romantic Youth Substitutes for Ipecac
Driver's Ed (August 7th)
I hate a trailer with a trailer at the start. This is a 20 minute premise with a 90 minute runtime (it's more than 90 minutes).
There is a charm to it, but I'll leave that up to Gen Z to find.
Finding Emily (August 28th)
Willem DaFriend
No comments:
Post a Comment