Monday, June 26, 2023

TRO: Dark Age, Part 3 of 8

I'm still reading TRO: Dark Age, a collection of TROs from different eras wrapped as single product billed as a poorly constructed financially efficiently produced in-universe document. It's long as fuck so my readthrough is in multiple parts.

As I often do, italics are ideas added in transcribing to blog form.

Night Stalker 

Looks like a kitchen sink 'mech without a lot of focus. Maybe good for scouting/infantry actions. It seems like a lance works best on a light, dedicated mauler who needs their target to not hit them back.

"Mikhail Polnach" is close, but I'm still deducting points for no Carl Kolchak reference. Boo!


Raven II

I may have to re-read that TSEMPS do, but I do not believe they are as good as this writeup makes them sound.

Get a second MML. And some CASE II. And better armor.

And a heat sink.

Scarecrow

UCU-F4 somehow translates to "Fuck Infantry" because damn. It's the Pirhana's less-capable cousin that sends souls to hell by the truckload instead of the boatload.

I mean, I Get It, but having to have the only Scarecrow pilot need to be certified sane is...weird? Because only a psycho would use one of BattleTech's many, many anti-infantry battlemechs/vehicles/infantry units? 

Does the public demand Sanity Checks for snipers and the guys who push the orbital bombardment button?

 

An average Federated Suns citizen.

Goshawk II

Great art for the Phoenix Hawk's younger, big-dicked brother. The variant w/the Streak SRM 2 is stupid. Just use an SRM 4 with infernos. Commit to the bit.

Stalking Spider II

Damn, I was just talking about the historical TRO 3060 and here's a sequel that no one asked for. That being said: it looks like a tough, versatile scrapper.

Violator

Meanwhile, the Violator is just scrap. Two physical weapons? 20 MRMs? I get that the fluff is very aware this thing sucks, but woof.

My actual criticism is for the -U3 variant. SRMs AND LRMs? You live in an era with MMLs! You can fit 15 on that jalopy! 15 LRMs or SRMs is not bad and would round this turkey out. 

 

Agrotera

Solid. I'd prefer two more small lasers to the Medium Pulse Laser (MPL). Maybe another DHS. Very surgical and set to support with the Target Acquisition Gear (TAG). I'm a bit of a fan.

Avalanche

Of course Clan Nova Cat need the good will of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery but the Wolves in Exile have no such problems. Fucking mercenary of the Sea Foxes to buy the salvage of a destroyed Clan for resale. I get that the Nova Cats made no friends, but...uh...

No "buts" I guess. RIP losers. Just say no to treason.

Black Hawk (standard)

Seems reasonable. Its heat curve is a bit unpredictable with the streak SRMs. 

I'd like to try one out.

Centurion (omnimech)

Surprised it's not moving 6/9. What was Darla Westin's plan? She let an Allard-Liao--okay, Liao-Centrella--win? Also, I don't know how anyone could "push forward with the scouts" when scouts these days are established as being so fucking fast.

The variants are kinda samey, but no too bad. I also like the use of MMLs. Boosted C3 units look like crap on paper, but I assume they're worth the cost.

 I can't imagine they're worth the cost.

Enforcer III

We're doing a sweep of old school designs. Damn.

I'm glad they referenced that jank left arm. Was there a problem with the old Enforcer's head? Weak Armor? Negative quirk?

Familiarity with the Enforcer is treated as a unique thing, but wouldn't every Succession Wars-era 'mech be very familiar--nevermind.

I really thought torso-mounted cockpits were too deally for pilots to use.

I guess torso-mounted cockpits are a bit better now. Also, I can't find anything specifically vulnerable about the Enforcer's head, but it is described as "iconic" and "workhorse." There's no rules for that, but maybe I could make a quirk to represent that...?

Gravedigger

Monster truck reference or Dave Matthews Band reference? Can't decide which.

As much as I bitch about speed, it looks slow, but doesn't pack enough of a punch to justify it. It's a support mech; what do I even want? 

The Clan PPC deals solid damage and the LBX Autocannon (LBXAC) and 15-shot Long Range Missile (LRM15) follow up with reliable crit-seeking. The close range electronics warfare equipment is weird, but offhand, I don't know if those Clan systems even have a minimum range.

It looks good at its role, a Blackjack for a new generation. 

No comments: