Monday, June 19, 2023

TRO: Dark Age Part 2 of 8

I'm still reading TRO: Dark Age, a collection of TROs from different eras wrapped as single product billed as a poorly constructed financially efficiently produced in-universe document. It's long as fuck so my readthrough is in multiple parts.

As I often do, italics are ideas added in transcribing to blog form.

Spider

A fairly tech-y upgrade of a classic. Honestly, the -8X with standard jump jets and a partial wing seems cooler to me. That said, the Spider does do Spider stuff. It's a good tradeoff of ground speed for jump distance. 

 

 

Wulfen

Hey, this was referred to in the Jackalope fluff. That's nice. I won't reiterate the XXL engine gripes,but a lot of these configs are...shite? Is that the right word? "Shite"?

The Alpha carries two ammo-fed weapons that deal 5 to 13 damage, with CASE II just in case and adds a half-ton of cargo for funsies.

B, C, & H are fine, but D puts an Artemis V fire control system on an SRM 2. More CASE II*. I guess Clanners aren't used to the loss of a side torso being fatal for a 'mech, but what's the Clanner lingo for "sack up"? This is a Battle. Mech. Not an Amazon ZenBooth.

*CASE II prevents ammunition explosions due to heat or hits to structure. I don't see it as particularly worthwhile on lighter 'mechs because they don't have a lot of structure. If they take a few structure hits to a location it's probably going to be gone before the ammunition explodes. Use the tonnage to get more armor. 

Blade

Kinda boring. It's another light 'mech with a 7/11+ movement profile. That the fluff says it's supposed to be low maintenance, but it uses Extralight Engines (XL), Endosteel (ES) structure, and Light Ferro-Fibrous (LFF) armor, XL Gyro, and Double Heat Sinks (DHS) belies that claim to my 3050 mind when folks were penny-pinching over double heat sinks.

I get these things are more common post-Jihad. What I don't get how this is part of any standardization protocols. Just make a 6/9 standard fusion engine (SFE) omnimech with 13 tons of pod space.

Eyrie

Phrases like "well-rounded combat specialty" force me to remind myself that I am also a mere hack writer.

It's an odd duck with then-new-toy syndrome. Also, I'm resigned that most Jade Falcon and Capellan warrior write-ups simply establish these factions as dicks. ThErE aRe nO GoOd GuYs In ThIs SeTtInG!

Also-also, not to sound like an internet tough guy, but if my star mate kicked me with their light 'mech's talons I'd crush them like the fusion-powered beer can they are.


Havoc

I'm crying "havoc." Or, just crying. Another 7/11+ light. We get it; 'mechs are faster now.

Jaguar

Gods, this feels like the final boss of the Dark Age TRO lights. 7/11+, WiE, excessive ammo. At least it's a 'mech with 62 structure points that's not giving up weapons for CASE II.

A quad-mech infighter--turret or not--seems like questionable endeavor*. 

*Quad 'mechs don't have arm firing arcs and can't torso twist to alter their firing arcs. Turret weapons can change firing arcs for the weapons mounted on them, but they cost tonnage. An infighter needs to alter its firing arcs to deal with opponents who might maneuver around it.

Rokurokubi

I know this is several TROs smushed together, but eventually they all run together. Props for being a 7/10 XL engine 'mech. The hardened armor is adding a lot of personality.

Its only ranged weapon is a 5-class light autocannon (LAC5). 

It's got longevity, but no hitting power.

No, I do not consider a light 'mech with a piloting skill roll penalty going toe-to-toe with an accurate, slightly-better full-body punch to be a good idea.

The PPC variants sound interesting, but not that interesting.

Storm Raider

Thank the gods we finally have a 'mech that can raid all those storms.

These deployment sections read like large "notable unit" sections. Also, how do you die to a single RAC/2 salvo to the head? Skill issue.

Also-also, the Storm Raider art gives off big Nazi stormtrooper vibes. Just me?

Tiburon

Last light 'mech of the book, thank the gods. Unremarkable, save for the Watchdog CEWS. Really? Can the Sea Fox Star Captain cut deals and throats with equal aplomb? I commend the wordplay, but every Sea Fox we're hearing about does that.

Araña Militiamech

I feel it's time to point out that spiders are neither known for jumping (yeah, some do jump) or having four legs. 

Moving on.

And you people say we never hear from The Scorpion Empire. They're now above Hell's Horses but below WiE for new 'mechs. Way below. This is the one "emergency mech" that looks the part. 

What's up with Clan Coyote? How are they still alive after The Society/The Wars of Reaving thing? What is the grunt caste?

Calliope

Cal-ee-ohp? Or is it Cal-I-oh-pee?

We usually say it ironically, but I mean it here: No notes.

 

Rest in peace David Brandt. I didn't know much about you but you seemed like a good person.

Cuirass

"Honey I Blew up The Battle Armor"

Interesting. Quirky for the single heat sinks. I was just thinking today about how...uh, gritty BattleTech lets itself get. The Cuirass' mention of domestic violence and that Davion Prince what that did a rape seem to answer that question.

No comments: