Monday, March 16, 2020

Imaginary Friend

This is the first episode of The Road to Deep Space Nine, where Derek and I pick up the pace and skip a few episodes of Derek's choice. You don't skip them; you get a solo adventure.

I don't know how I mixed up "Peggy Sue Got Married," a 1986 Back-to-the-Future-by-way-of-Somewhere-in-Time drama with "Drop Dead Fred," a 1991 black comedy about an imaginary friend and psychological healing.

I feel like Imaginary Friend is just a few degrees off from making sense, but nothing can redeem an episode where an obvious Troi speech is punted to Picard...for some reason. It's the misogyny, right? Can we agree on that?

The Beige and The Bold is hosted on Anchor and is available on most podcasting platforms. New episodes go live on Sunday nights at 10:00 PM CST.




source https://anchor.fm/tbntb/episodes/Imaginary-Friend-ebifug

3 comments:

SkilTao said...

If the ep is slow, how beholden are you to your 1:1 speed format?

I'd enjoy an episode of Worf figuring out someone on board isn't real, but that might lean too far into "Conundrum," nuBSG hallucinations, and the Moclan holofake episode.

With Troi and Gainan overlapping so much I wonder if it's possible to have both present and doing their thing without throwing one or the other under the bus. A telepathic interaction without any explicit dialogue might be hard to buy into; and if Troi did catch, like, images from Gainan's visit to Risa, you've got the sitcom thing where Troi's parsing of it says more about Troi than it does about Gainan.

VanVelding said...

The format is great. It keeps us on track. Focused on the topic at hand or...let's say "creative."

I want to say there was an episode where Troi and Guinan were both doing stuff, but I can't think of which one right now. "The Outrageous Okona"?

SkilTao said...

If they were in that episode I don't remember it. "The Child" or "Night Terrors," maybe, but I don't remember if they fit the criteria. I guess I could've waited for "Time's Arrow" to come around.