Monday, July 21, 2014

It's the...ah crap I forget

It's the...mumu?

It's the...momo?

It's the...mudkips?

I got it, It's the Magic!


So I've been working on this Edere Vir concept for a while. I need to sit down and flesh it out, but it went from an idea related to a new World of Darkness monster to a D&D monster to fuel some lackluster stories for an avenger-type PC, then because everything inevitably does, it became a series of Magic cards.



Exiling cards from graveyards is the Edere Vir motif. Originally envisioned in a modern setting, they were all human but in D&D it only makes sense they'd be common amongst a variety of races.

Also if I'm not mistaken, their creature type has to be hyphenated to make sure it registers as a single type and not two different types.



















They're cannibals, by the way.

The deal with the Edere Vir is that they eat their own kind to gain powers. They're commonly in Green, Black, and Red. Red doesn't do graveyard shenanigans a lot, but I think it still fits.

I also want to take a second to apologize for the formatting. My time is as limited as I am lazy these days.















A general-purpose Edere Vir lord card.

Elves are usually green in Magic. I've also seen them veer black and red before, so I feel good about that. My only real problem is that as a lord he's a bit...lackluster.

I think the alternative would be a lord that mills you a bit and makes himself stronger. 

Maybe "2R: Mill 'till you reveal a land and creatures you control get +1/+1 until EOT for each creature card put into your graveyard this way. Use only as a sorcery." 
Still pretty strong though.









I have a strong tendency to overlook Green in Magic. These two are both guys that try to compensate for that one. Like it usually does, Green likes things that are in graveyards. Usually Edere Vir like exiling things from graveyards.


Edere Vir tend to have activated or triggered abilities that require you have creature cards in your graveyard. They're "feeding" on your own things to get their powers.

I like it, but I don't know how much space and enabling you need to make that happen. Creatures die naturally over the course of a game, but do enough really die to make the Edere Vir a consistent threat? 





The Edere Vir also have the ability to use bone to make their hands into lethal weapons. A lot of their abilities are civilization-based (working with glass, paper, wheels, etc), so I wanted to give them an equipment subtheme.



Yeah, I know she wasn't a cannibal, but "supernatural people that eats people" is close enough.




 
And yeah, the semi-paladin avenger class dudes I have set up to oppose the Edere Vir. I'm still working them out. Most of what they do right now is very complicated and based solely on their oath of enmity thing.

If I get the time/arsedness (sorry Derek), I'll post some refinements of the ideas and some enablers next week on It's the Metacrisis.

No comments: